TV News Wrap: Sunday May 22
- Fans of the recvently cancelled Fox TV show “Breaking In”, starring Christian Slater, might be able to hold on to some form of hope, after The Hollywood Reporter has reported that the show “…Might Get Renewed” if you watch the finale on Tuesday night in the US, which stars Mike Tyson and Voltron. This is because Fox has floated the possibilty of renewal if it gets good ratings on Friday.
- They have also thrown up a very likely reason as to why it was cancelled in the first place (even though it attracted ratings of around 7 million): “… (Fox) may find Breaking In too niche (read: too geeky) and not strong enough with female audiences.”
- TVLine reports that another British actor has scored a major role on big-budget Fox show Terra Nova, it’s Rod Hallett from The Tudors (he played Sir Richard Rich in the show).
- In other casting news, Ana Ortiz, best known from her role as Ugly Betty’s sister in the ABC show, is heading to Detroit to star alongside Thomas Jane in the HBO show Hung. In keeping with the show’s theme, she will be playing a woman who needs anger management and a prostitute… so no guesses as to what sort of things she will be getting up to in the show’s third season. Ah well, you gotta what you gotta do to get by in the acting biz, don’t you? Here she is/was in Ugly Betty as Hilda (on the left).
Those people eagerly anticipating Season 4 of Breaking Bad will be waiting for any scrap of information/footage relating to the new season (as to which there has been very little information released). I think this classifies as a “scrap”, but it’s something nonetheless.Here’s a video of star Bryan Cranston emploring fans to send in a video of how much they love Breaking Bad. But if you look at 0:33 onwards, there is a snippet of Season 4 footage, showing Cranston’s character Walter White, still sporting his beard/moustache combo and throwing a burning pack of empty matches (possibly?) to the ground with Saul Goodman’s face and slogan on it. Make of it what you will.
- In Australian news, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that hit NBC show The Voice has been picked up by Channel Nine (both the US version and the rights to an Australian one). You have to wonder if Australia is ready for another reality/talent competition, let alone another singing contest, but with this show’s emphasis on well, the “voices” rather than their look, etc. it isn’t exactly the worst pick-up news. But once again, it will come down to the choice of host, and in particular, the judges/mentors/coaches.
- TV Guide reports on the fact that Oprah’s favourite guest of all time is Dr. Tererai Trent, a woman from Zimbabwe who endeavours to give the gift of education to children. I’d imagine John Travolta would be fuming.
Posted on May 22, 2011, in TV News Wrap and tagged Ana Ortiz, breaking bad, Breaking In, bryan cranston, Channel Nine, Hung, John Travolta, Oprah, Saul Goodman, Sydney Morning Herald, The Tudors, The Voice, Thomas Hane, Ugly Betty. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.