Here it is… Thursday July 28th 8:30PM for ten weeks! On Channel Nine!
Channel Nine is currently undergoing a resurgence of sorts, after a very lacklustre start to the year.
After heavily promoting the fourth series of The Block in its new 7PM timeslot, it has proven a decent new alternative in its first week on air.
Of course, its strong first week figures will be slightly inflated due to the massive publicity push, but it has arguably begun to turn around Nine’s fortunes.
And let’s face it, any old show that can pull half-decent figures for Nine (we’re talking over a million) will be more than welcome on its schedule, as its first half of the year has certainly been one to forget for the network.
After starting the year touting itself as the “Home of Comedy” it put forth its first offering in the form of Ben Elton Live From Planet Earth. And we all know how that one ended:
Low ratings combined with the worst critical reception to a show in recent memory made for a genuine, out-and-out stinker of a show.
Faced with failure, Nine felt it had no choice but to flog the hell out of its imports in Two and a Half Men and Top Gear, two programs that had done very well for the network in 2010.
However, repeating these “hit shows” ad nauseam led to viewer fatigue, and pretty soon they began turning off in droves.
Today, Top Gear is nowhere to be seen on Nine’s main channel, with Two and a Half Men pushed late into the night. You can find it now at 10:30PM on a Tuesday night.
Continue reading after the jump…
Not much in the way of news today… just some notable guest-casting coups;
- James Van Der Beek (“Dawson’s Creek”) is heading to Law and Order: SVU. He will also be appearing on the new TNT show Franklin and Bash.
- Martin Short and Alan Quinn will also pop up on Season 7 of the Showtime series Weeds.
- Star of Mad Men, Jon Hamm, will direct the first episode of the fifth season of the hit AMC show. Of course, you’ll have to wait until March 2012 to see it though.
- You can watch Hamish and Andy’s going away drinks party on the Herald Sun website from 6PM today. They will fly to the US to produce their show, Hamish and Andy’s Gap Year for Channel Nine.
- I can’t believe that there’s even speculation that someone will replace Adam Hills on Spicks and Specks for a number of reasons. 1) Because the combination of Adam, Myf and Alan is the show, when one element is taken out, it ceases to be Spicks and Specks; 2) Even if they tried, there would almost certainly be backlash, whoever they chose to replace him and 3) ABC would not even consider it because of these reasons, at least not for a couple of years.
being erica season 4
Season 4 will be Being Erica’s last.
Hamish and andy america tv show 2011
hamish and andy new york
Hamish and Andy will produce a show entitled Hamish and Andy’s Gap Year, to air later in 2011. It will be based in New York.
australian idol 2012
An interesting one, but its dismal ratings in 2009 wouldn’t make Ten consider reviving it in 2012. At this stage, even Big Brother looks more likely to be resurrected, with a lot of interest being generated by a recent ACA Big Brother reunion.
Especially as long as Ten has Masterchef (and will have for another two years after this one) and the Biggest Loser, there is certainly no need for it. They will be also hoping the Renovators will be a successful replacement for So You Think You Can Dance.
In terms of other channels picking it up, Seven already have their hands full with The X Factor, and Nine just don’t do big live shows, and when they do, you get Torvill and Dean’s Dancing on Ice.
fx tv renewal
This year FX has renewed many of their popular series, including Archer (for a 3rd season), The League (3rd season) and Justified (3rd season).
mike and molly not renewed
Not renewed just yet, yet the general consensus is that it will be picked up for a 2nd Season by CBS. Good ratings combined with average-good press have only helped its cause.
blue bloods renewed?
Signs are looking very good for the CBS show.
Will another station pick up the show “lights out?”
Possibly, but very unlikely. No news so far… Which is bad news. There is also the fact that its former show-runner has left to helm Law and Order: SVU.
sammy rafter packed to the rafters coming back
There are no plans for her to return, yet I’m sure the show would love to have her back, what with Jessica Marais leaving and all.
lights out australia
Yes! On Ten’s soon to be relaunched ONE HD (around May). Unfortunately it has been cancelled after one season, so don’t get too attached.